Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Yangon backtracks on high-rise adjustments

Yangon officials will allow the developers of 12 suspended high-rise projects to start work again, and have revoked an earlier demand that some of the companies knock down floors in their projects because the designs were breaking urban planning rules.

U Than Htay, head of the Department of Engineering (Building) at Yangon City Development Committee said developers were told on August 21 they could resume work. This decision was made by Yangon Chief Minister U Phyo Min Thein at a cabinet meeting last week, he said, after developers complained about an earlier order to change their project designs. 

Following their complaints, Yangon’s mayor and the head of the high-rise inspection committee carried out a second inspection, U Than Htay said.

None of the 12 developers will have to knock down floors they have already built, but they need to complete their projects in accordance with the terms they have agreed with the chief minister, he added, declining to elaborate further.

“We have told developers they can continue building under the terms of their original permits, but some need to make changes in accordance with commitments they have made to the chief minister,” he said yesterday.

Ko Kyaw Kyaw Naint, developer of Sein Lae Aung condo, was told last month to cut the number of floors in his project from 12.5 to six. He said he has committed to building more car parking and tweaking the project design.

“We met with the chief minister and presented some changes that we agreed to,” he said.

While YCDC has told developers they will be able to resume work and will not need to demolish floors, companies will not start work again until they have picked up an official letter from the office, he said. “We have heard that we will not need to cut floors, but will only be sure once we have the letter in our hands,” he said.

He said he wanted to thank the chief minister and mayor for listening to developers’ concerns.